Sunday, January 17, 2016

More on Painting Wet-on-Wet

As I was completing the wet-on-wet exercises, I discovered a very important fact:

Learning: The amount of fuzziness depends not just on the amount of paint "juiciness," but the time between wetting the paper and applying paint to it.

I carried out a little experiment, using the same color and the same paint wetness, I applied the paint at 30 second intervals beginning right after I had thoroughly wet the paper with clear water until 4 minutes and 30 seconds afterwards. You can see the amount of diffusion of the paint on the paper as it began to dry.


As you can see, there is very little spreading after 2 minutes, 30 seconds. You may want to conduct a similar test because you might wet the paper with more or less water than I did and may use more or less"juicy" paint. The paper you use may also change the rate of drying. 

Just remember that the amount of time between wetting the paper and applying paint will yield different "loose edges." The more you know about how slow or fast to paint on wet paper to achieve desired results, the more control you will have!

No comments:

Post a Comment